Candied Lemon

    The other day I was at my favourite butcher shop when I saw the cutest little lime-shaped lemons by the cash register. Turns outs they were meyer lemons. I had heard of them, but had never seen a fresh one before, so I had to pick some up. They are sweeter and more tart than regular lemons and I figured it would be fun to candy some. If you can't find meyer lemons, regular lemons will work fine for this recipe. You can use the same technique to make candied lime or orange too.
   Candied lemons make a great garnish for any seafood dish. I'll be posting a couple recipes soon that use them. They are also delicious chopped up and sprinkled over desserts like ice cream & chocolate mousse. Or, if you are like my girlfriend who is now addicted to candied lemons, you can eat them as a tangy snack on their own.

Ingredients:
2 meyer lemons (or small regular lemons)
100g (3/4 cup) sugar
2 pinches of salt

1. Mix the sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss the lemon slices in the mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes to let the lemons macerate. The lemons with release their juice and the rind will soften.
 


2. Strain and discard the juice, keeping only the syrup that coats the slices.
3. Preheat the oven to 250F. Arrange the lemon slices on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. When the lemon just start to caramelize they are ready. If they get too dark they will become bitter.

Comments

  1. Im planning on making a dessert pizza in my outdoor pizza oven with macerated lemons and Mascarpone cheese...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dessert pizza! That's a pretty cool idea. It's amazing what the macerating process does for lemons. It makes the rind soft and chewy and delicious and it this recipe they crisp up nicely when dried in the oven. I'm very curious how they will turn out in a pizza oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up.Shaped Pouch Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment